Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: cheapest way to sync sound ****I think****

  1. #1
    Vespasian
    Guest Vespasian's Avatar

    Lightbulb

    I have a Bell & Howell Filmosound super 8 camera, and a filmosound sync recorder. This recorder is awsome you hook the recorder up to the camera, and press play it automatically starts the camera, and when you press stop it stops the camera, and thats just the remote part. There is another plug for the SOUND, and sure enough when you record the sound you can flip the cassette tape and hear pulses.

    So I am wondering is the tape recorder syncing to the camera. Well the original design for the camera and the recorder is that when you're done and have you movie developed you can hook the recorder up to a specail projector and it will do the same as with the camera.

    Well I thought of a new idea to put these oldies into use.

    I want to take the recorder and hook it up to a Sankyo sound 600 loaded with an old crappy western film that has a sound strip on it. Press play on the recorder, and record it on to the sound stip of the old western super8 film.

    When I am finished I edit the 2 films (my film, and the western) along side each other. When I am finished with that I use 2 Sankyo Sound 600 projectors which I just happen to have as a BIG gang synchronizer. Set one projector to play the western, and one to record onto my film. Of course alighning them both in the projectors and hitting a switch that would tun them on at the exact same tim as each other.

    What do ya think?

    ------------------

  2. #2
    #Pedro
    Guest #Pedro's Avatar

    Post

    The tape recorder is not syncing the camera in any way, it is only recording reference beep impulses from the camera, one for each frame. Be happy to have such a recorder!
    Afterwards, with this impulses, the projector is forced to the rhythm of them and this way is reproducing the exact camera speed. Or - the tape itself is hooking up to it?s own pulses in order to match with the projector speed.

    This is probably the way it works. To take advantage of that, you need to know, what projector the system requires. One, that can be controlled form outside, or one that only controlls the tape. The second case is pretty easy: A simple reed contact, giving you a 1:1 frame reference, will be able to control the tape and hook it to the speed of the film.
    The first case requires an accessable projector, obviously the original one.
    Or my synchronizer and a Bauer/Braun projector. Or the Elmo GS1200.

    Pedro

    ------------------

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •